Online gambling and major sporting events are an inseparable duo for all Canadian punters. Canadians love sports and they sure do love gambling. However, they are even more passionate about combining the two by gambling on the outcomes of sporting events. Sports betting is an extremely lucrative industry, especially in the online gambling world. Soccer however, holds the throne as the most popular sport across the globe. So, what significance does soccer, or football as it’s known in Europe, and online casinos have? Well, online casinos are vying for large sponsorship deals in the world of soccer. Here’s what this combination looks like for now but, take note that this is only the beginning of what this could become in the future.
Betting Brands that Sponsor Famous Soccer Brands
When we speak of brands, we don’t just mean soccer teams but individual players as well. This is because soccer has become so commercialised that even some of the most famous players have become a brand on their own. One need not look further than powerhouses like David Beckham, or more recently, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. This is why it comes as no surprise that online casinos and betting companies seized the chance to be part of these multi-million-dollar brands.
Zlatan Ibrahimović recently announced his partnership with betting brand Bethard, a brand well known in Sweden. Zlatan reportedly earned between 8 to 10 million euros from a signature alone for the deal. The LA Galaxy player left Manchester United in 2017 to become one of the most of decorated players in soccer history.
Top 5 Online Casino Soccer Sponsorship Deals
Here’s a list of the iconic soccer sponsorship deals by online casino operators. Some of these deals didn’t involve huge price tags, but they did pave the way for future deals to be struck. The top five sponsorship deals include:
- Betfair Casino: This was the first soccer shirt sponsorship deal in history to be struck with a major English Premier League team. In 2002, the online casino appeared on all Fulham soccer shirts.
- SportPesa: Everton signed a five-year shirt sponsorship deal worth £75 million with this casino operator.
- Bwin: This online casino struck two major deals on one day in April 2006. The first deal was made with Italian soccer giants AC Milan and was worth CAD$12,250,00. The second deal saw the iconic English soccer team Manchester United sign with the online casino for CAD$24.5 million per year.
- Spor Toto: This list would not be complete without mentioning the $25 million deal between this Turkish state-owned betting company and the Turkish Süper-Lig. This original deal ran between 2010 until 2017 and has just been renewed for a consecutive year.
Russia World Cup 2018
We cannot talk about soccer without mentioning the upcoming FIFA World Cup in Russia. According to Forbes, this is the third biggest sporting event in the world, ranked according to revenue brought in. Here are a few quick facts which could attract large betting companies and online casinos.
- Organisers for the World Cup in South Africa expected a marketing and sponsorship revenue of at least CAD$600 million. However, the financial report after the world cup noted that CAD$2.8 billion was made.
- This record was broken with the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. The event generated CAD$4.8 billion in revenue.
It’s clear to see that soccer is a highly lucrative sport and it won’ take much time until more online casinos come running to strike sponsorship deals.